Learn new skills
Meet other high achieving students
Make new friends
Winchester College, founded in the 14th century, is one of Britain's leading independent schools. The College has an excellent academic record and was the model for King's College Cambridge.
Winchester is 100km south west of London and approximately 1.5 hours by road from London Heathrow and Gatwick. Situated in the heart of Winchester, the College offers a tranquil location within historic, secluded grounds a short walk from Winchester Cathedral.
On site facilities include a fully equipped sports centre with a 25 m 6-lane pool, sports hall, playing fields, cricket pitches and tennis courts. There is also a theatre and large IT suites.
WHY CHOOSE THIS PROGRAMME?
- A stimulating and challenging summer school designed for students with a high level of English who want to explore new subjects and enhance their skills in preparation for university life
- Meet other high achieving students from many different countries as well as English teenagers - our English Student Hosts - who will be studying alongside you
- Attend tutorials to learn more about the British university system and the UCAS application process. Develop your interview and presentation skills
- Visit different universities (New College, Oxford; Bath) and learn about Oxbridge traditions from Oxford and Cambridge undergraduates.
- Our Entry/Exit test (based on IELTS speaking exam) and detailed end-of-course report evaluates your progress and gives you guidance on areas for improvement and further study.
- Whatever subjects you choose, our innovative teaching ensures you improve your English through collaboration, discussion and debate
- 22.5 hours' tuition per week divided into Majors , Minors and Academic Workshops
- Choose two different subjects each week. Majors are selected at time of booking and Minors at the centre
- All classes are taught by experienced, specialist tutors
- Typically 10-12 students per class (max 16) working in multi-national groups with English teenagers, our English Student Hosts
- Advanced Exam Skills Major prepares students planning to sit high level exams e.g. IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge. Opportunity to take our weekly mock IELTS exam and receive detailed feedback from our experienced IELTS trainer
- Weekly reviews help you and your tutors track your progress
- At the end of each week your class will present your Major in front of students, staff and visitors - invaluable for developing your confidence, public speaking and presentation skills.
Subjects vary week by week:
and debates on current issues relating to
e.g. International Relations, European Law, Ethics and Artificial Intelligence, Art in the 21st century - and British Culture
Find out more about each subject on our Majors and Minors pages.
- Varied activity programme 7 days a week
- NEW 2 full day excursions/study visits per week e.g. Oxford (tour of Magdalen College, punting), London (Westminster tour, art galleries, London Eye, evening performance at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre), Bath, Portsmouth
- An range of traditional sports (e.g. tennis, football, basketball and swimming) and creative arts (e.g. art & design, music, fashion) are offered + other activities such as yoga, chess, archery, slack-lining and charity fundraising
- Talent shows, casino nights, murder mystery and more. The weekly disco held at the University is one of the many highlights!
- Responsible students may go out in small groups on some afternoons each week to explore Winchester and enjoy the bustle of the shops and cafes.
- PLUS: Lots of opportunities to practise English with our Resident English Student Hosts.
ACCOMMODATION AND SUPERVISION
- Spacious, comfortable bedrooms with 1-8 beds and shared bathrooms. As Winchester is an historic, traditional, boys' school expect Hogwarts not 5 star hotel accommodation!
- Close supervision by resident staff
- Full board accommodation. Meals are taken in the historic 14th century College Hall
- Find out more about Welfare and Accommodation
DATES & FEES
Click here for 2016 dates and fees