2014 Summer course - see all the action on our blog.
Pre-College Enrichment - to help you prepare for future university and career choices.
Levels: pre-advanced to proficiency (CEF C1 - C2)
Click here for a sample 7 day time-table
WINCHESTER AND THE COLLEGE
Winchester College is one of England's most famous independent schools, founded in the 14th century. It later became the model for Eton and King's College Cambridge in the 15th century.
The College has an excellent academic record and is regarded as one of the leading schools in Britain.
Winchester is 100km south west of London and approximately 1.5 hours by road to London Heathrow and Gatwick. Situated in the heart of Winchester, the College offers a tranquil location within historic, secluded grounds. Winchester Cathedral is a short walk away.
On site facilities include a fully equipped sports centre with a 25 m 6-lane pool, sports hall, playing fields as well as squash and tennis courts. There is also a theatre and large IT suites.
Why this programme?
This programme meets the needs of dynamic young adults who are looking to develop their language skills, through a range of interactive subjects.
All students undergo a Discovery Summer entry and exit language level check based on the IELTS speaking exam band scores
Students learn subject skills in class (eg how to prepare for a high level English exam, how to storyboard and make a film, how to write a business plan), and depending on the majors/minors chosen, students can also develop three main skill sets:
- Interpersonal skills - negotiation, team building and leadership values
- Communication skills - formal/informal use of English, presentation skills, essay writing structure skills and summarising and paraphrasing
- Life skills-time management, initiative, assertiveness, critical thinking and motivation.
- This programme is designed for students who are confident and capable in English. You should be able to follow lessons in English and express yourself without difficulty. A grading test is available for those who are unsure of their level.
- 30 lessons of average 45 mins (22.5 hours per week).
- Maximum class size: 16 (average 12-14) international students. An English student host will usually be in each class.
- Majors (13.5 hours per week). Most classes make a presentation of their week's work in front of all the students at the end of each week Click here for full details
- Minors (6 hours per week) Click here for full details
- Monday mornings (3 hours per week). Academic Specials: Masterclasses with business and media industry professionals, interactive workshops on English etiquette (eg how to make a good impression) and British culture study visits (eg Jane Austen's House, Almshouses, science centre).
Each week you choose one Major and one Minor from the list below (subjects may vary). We cannot always guarantee your choices, but we will try!
- Varied programme of sports and activities 7 days a week.
- 1 full-day and 1 half-day excursion per week (e.g. London, Oxford - colleges and punting, Bath, Stonehenge/Salisbury, Portsmouth).
- A range of sports is offered on most afternoons
- Student led team events to encourage entrepreneurship and global awareness (eg raising money for an international aid project)
- Some afternoon and evening activities are seen as learning opportunities where students can grow socially as well as academically (eg crime and law club, Oxbridge traditons club)
- Responsible students may go out in small groups to explore and enjoy Winchester on some afternoons.
- PLUS: Lots of opportunities to practise English with our Resident English Student Hosts.
ACCOMMODATION AND SUPERVISION
- Spacious, 'basic' bedrooms with 1-8 beds. As Winchester is an historic, traditional, boys' school do not expect 5 star hotel accommodation!
- This programme is run as a junior programme with close supervision by resident staff
- Full board accommodation. Meals are taken in individual boarding houses.