See all the action on our Winchester blog.
Pre-College Enrichment - to help you prepare for future university and career choices.
Levels: upper-intermediate to proficiency (CEFR B2 - C2)
Click here for a sample 7 day time-table
WINCHESTER AND THE COLLEGE
Winchester College is one of England's most famous, historic independent schools, founded in the 14th century. It later became the model for
Eton and King's College Cambridge in the 15th century.
The College has an excellent academic record and is regarded as one of the leading schools in Britain.
Winchester is 100km south west of London and approximately 1.5 hours by road to London Heathrow and Gatwick.
Situated in the heart of Winchester, the College offers a tranquil location within historic, secluded grounds.
Winchester Cathedral is a short walk away.
On site facilities include a fully equipped sports centre with a 25 m 6-lane pool, sports hall, playing fields,
cricket pitches and tennis courts. There is also a theatre and large IT suites.
Why choose this programme?
A unique programme for dynamic young adults with a high level of English who want to learn interesting new
subjects and skills
You'll develop life skills vital for your future studies and career choices: leadership skills, critical
thinking, presentation skills, time management, when to use formal/informal language and many more...
Exciting weekly 'Academic Specials' (3 hours) - study visits, workshops and masterclasses - consolidate what you've learned
in class and extend your horizons and knowledge of British history and culture
Historic Winchester City/college campus is used as a natural extension of the classroom
- Whatever subjects you choose, our innovative teaching ensures you improve your English through collaboration,
discussion and debate
- Majors (13.5 hours per week) and Minors (6 hours per week) are taught by enthusiastic, specialist
teachers. You choose one Major and one Minor each week. Majors may be pre-booked. Minors are chosen each week at the centre.
- Maximum class size is 16 (average 12). You'll be working in multi-national groups with English teenagers (English student hosts).
- Entry/Exit test (based on IELTS speaking Exam) - find out which areas you need to work on!
- Advanced Exam Skills Major prepares students planning to sit high level exams e.g. IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge exams)
English Language Workshop Minor concentrates on core skills e.g. grammar
- IELTS Minor New! Prepare for IELTS with an experienced IELTS trainer. Also suitable for those preparing
for GMAT, TOEFL and CPE.
- Weekly learner reviews help you and your teachers track your progress
- At the end of each week your class will present your Major/Minor in front of students, staff and visitors - invaluable practice
for developing your confidence and presentation skills!
Find out more about each subject on our Majors and Minors pages.
- An innovative range of afternoon and evening activities (e.g. crime and law club, charity fundraising,
Oxbridge traditions) are engaging and different. They encourage students to explore British culture, learn
new skills and develop confidence. Lively evening entertainment includes talent shows, Sherlock Holmes murder
mystery, weekly discos
- 1 full-day and 1 half-day excursion per week e.g. London (London Eye, Westminster, museums, a West End musical/Globe Theatre, Alternative
London - Brick Lane, Tate Modern, Orbit), Oxford (College tour, punting), Portsmouth Dockyard
- A range of sports offered on most afternoons.
- Responsible students may go out in small groups to explore and enjoy Winchester on some afternoons each week.
- PLUS: Lots of opportunities to practise English with our Resident English Student Hosts.
ACCOMMODATION AND SUPERVISION
- Spacious, 'basic' bedrooms with 1-8 beds and shared bathrooms. As Winchester is an historic, traditional, boys' school do not expect
5 star hotel accommodation!
- This programme is run as a junior programme with close supervision by resident staff
- Full board accommodation. Meals are taken in the historic 14th century College Hall.