2014 Summer courses - see all the action on our blogs.
Uppingham is a small, safe, typically English
market town in Rutland, England's smallest
county, in the middle of England
Levels: beginners to advanced (CEF A1 - C1)
Uppingham School, one of Britain's leading co-educational schools, was founded in 1584. Many of the attractive buildings in the town are built from local ironstone. It is 160km north of London and just over two hours by road. Birmingham is 1.5 hours by road and Cambridge, Peterborough and Leicester can be reached in one hour. Just 15 minutes away is Rutland Water, Europe's largest man-made lake,
where students can try canoeing and other watersports.
The school has both new and historic buildings. A state-of-the-art Sports Centre has recently opened. This comprises a large indoor sports hall, a 25m 6-lane swimming pool, a gymnasium, squash courts and two dance studios. The outdoor sports facilities are extensive and include 12 tennis courts, football and cricket pitches.
Classes are held in the school's historic 'quad'. We also take advantage of the school's impressive IT suite, theatre, drama studio, lecture theatre for showing DVDs and modern Leonardo Art centre.
We offer an intensive, truly multi-national programme. and a chance to meet English children.
TEACHING AND ACTIVITY PROGRAMME
- 30 lessons of average 45 minutes (22.5 hours per week) including English Skills and English Workshops (e.g. Discovery TV, IT/Magazine, Photo Stories, United Nations, Mask-making, Music Video). For more information see How we teach English
- Click here for a sample timetable
- Opportunities for Uppingham town visits with your teacher
- The Trinity Exam in Spoken English is offered (weeks 2 and 4). It is optional, but highly recommended.
- A wide variety of sports and activities offered 7 days a week
- 1 full-day and 1 half-day excursion per week e.g. London (museums, river cruise, Covent garden) Cambridge (college tour and punting), Nottingham, Warwick/Stratford-upon-Avon, Rutland Water - kayaking/canoeing, falconry centre, Burghley House.
- Special Sports Options - Horse-riding, Tennis and Water-sports e.g. sailing/windsurfing (at extra cost).
- PLUS: Lots of opportunities to practise English with our Resident English Student Hosts.
ACCOMMODATION AND SUPERVISION
- Uppingham offers both traditional and modern accommodation. Boys and girls are accommodated in separate houses where they eat their meals.
- 1-6 bedded rooms (some singles have ensuite facilities)
- Close supervision by our resident staff
- Common rooms with e.g. TV/DVD, table tennis, pool table
- Full board.